Wednesday 16 October 2013

Can Toronto Make it Rain?


      The last time the Toronto Maple Leafs won the most coveted prize in all of hockey, the Stanley Cup, was 47 long, depressing years ago. A drought that won't soon be forgotten. They are the subject of ridicule, with such jokes as Q: What do the Toronto Maple Leafs and the Titanic have in common? A: They both look good until they hit the ice! and Q: Why don't the Toronto Maple Leafs drink tea? A: Because the Canadiens and Red Wings have all the cups! But the last few seasons have brought some hope of redemption back to myself and all the other Toronto Maple Leaf fans near and far. The Leafs are winning, and it's only a matter of time before they win it all. 


Now, I'm no expert, that's for damn sure. Can't play hockey for the life of me. But I am a hardcore Leafs fan, got it from my father. I have been watching the trades happen, the connections form and the team build and rebuild. With the last few good years, the other teams aging and this young team getting faster and stronger, I can safely say with all the fans and the real experts behind me, this could be the year (2013-2014) the Toronto Maple Leafs win the Stanley Cup. So enough of me telling you that they are going to win, now I'll tell you why.


The team we have right now was all constructed by the man himself, Brian Burke. He got a lot of hate and ridicule and was blamed for the leafs sucking, but bit by bit he put together the team we have now, and just before they were ready to prove everyone wrong and get him his reputation of a good GM back, he was fired, replaced, and didn't get as much credit for the team as he should have. But the team stayed. Brian Burke had brought in major players that are now on the verge of victory. Their names?


Phil Kessel(Age 26) RW: Acquired on September 18th 2009 from the Boston Bruins: 121 Goals & 138 Assists so far for Toronto

Captain Dion Phaneuf(Age 28) D: Acquired on January 31st 2010 from the Calgary Flames: 31 Goals & 81 Assists so far for Toronto (Side note: he also has 279 PIM for Toronto)

James Van Riemsdyk(Age 24) LW: Acquired June 23rd 2012 from the Philadelphia Flyers: 18 Goals & 14 Assists so far for Toronto

Joffrey Lupul(Age 30) LW: Acquired February 9th 2011 from the Anaheim Ducks: 45 Goals & 58 Assists so far for Toronto

Cody Franson(Age 26) D: Acquired July 3rd 2011 from The Nashville Predators: 9 Goals & 41 Assists so far for Toronto 


Pretty good stats uh? There are enforcers such as Colton Orr who strike fear into the other teams hearts, the amazing goaltendng tandem of Reimer and Bernier who Burke was half a part of, the list goes on. The team is ready to win. 

No one is quite sure how the season will end, but the general consensus is this could be the year. The year when the Leafs end the drought and make it RAIN.







4 comments:

  1. I thoroughly enjoyed reading your views, Mitchell. Your tone and passion were evident throughout. I can't intelligently comment on your prediction because my hockey knowledge is severely lacking, but I will keep your views in mind so maybe in a conversation I will have something intelligent to say.
    Also, what does PIM stand for?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you! Trust me, they'll win. Oh, PIM stands for penalties in minutes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mitch I love your tittle and its relevance to your blog! It is obvious I have lots to learn about hockey and that you know your facts on the Toronto Maple Leafs. Keep up the good work.

    ReplyDelete